As a fanatical aficionado of cilantro, I cannot ignore its important role in Mexican cuisine. I love Mexican food - perhaps not as ardently as I love cilantro, but, let's face it: there are few things in the world that deserve this highest level of admiration. I would lie if I said I remember the moment when I first tried cilantro. I do remember, however, that right after the first bite I knew we were going to be good friends. You can either love or hate cilantro - some people loathe it, claiming that it tastes like soap. Personally, I don't care for eating soap, but eating cilantro is one of my favourite activities.
Cilantro works perfectly with tacos. Any tacos: soft-shell tacos, hard-shell tacos, puffy tacos. With beef, with fish, with chicken. Add some grated cheese, a spoonful of guacamole, tomato salsa and sour cream, a few drops of lime juice and a generous portion of fresh cilantro.
I'm not giving you any measurements - it all depends on what you like the most and how many tacos you plan on eating. Just make sure to have at least a bunch of fresh cilantro.
Recipe: Chicken tacos
- hard taco shells
- shredded chicken (recipe below)
- sour cream
- guacamole (recipe )
- tomato salsa (recipe below)
- pickled jalapeños
- lime juice
- fresh cilantro (!)
- Heat up taco shells and fill them with your favourites (lots of cilantro!).
- Eat tacos and drink a beer with some lime juice.
Recipe: Shredded chickenServes: 2
- 300 g of skinless chicken breast
- 1/2 tsp. of chili flakes
- 1/2 tsp. of sweet paprika powder
- 1/2 tsp. of ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. of salt
- 1/4 tsp. of cayenne pep
- Combine the spices with lime juice.
- Rub chicken breast with the paste.
- Place in a baking dish and roast at 180C for about 30 minutes.
- When the meat is tender, use two forks to shred the chicken.
Recipe: Tomato salsaServes: 2
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 1/2 tsp. of chopped chili pepper
- one tbsp. of chopped cilantro
- juice of 1/2 lime
- a pinch of salt
- Combine all the ingredients.
- Set aside for 20-30 minutes.