If you keep dreaming about hearty, warming dishes (l do), this recipe will help you follow your dreams. These might not be the most audacious desires you have, but, let's face it - they're not that time consuming either. The preparation is 15 minutes tops and having done that, all you need to do is sit and enjoy the rich aroma that fills the kitchen. You could even devote that time to some other dreams you have - to rule the world or to bake a chocolate fudge cake. A warming, slightly spicy stew with chorizo, chickpeas, kale and red wine is a perfect start to a cold Thursday afternoon.
Recipe: Chorizo and chickpea stewServes: 4
- one large onion, diced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 red chili pepper, sliced
- one tbsp. of butter
- one cup of cooked chickpeas
- 2-3 Spanish chorizos (300 g), thickly sliced
- 2 cups of peeled and chopped tomatoes
- one cup of dry red wine
- 250 g of kale, sliced
- one tsp. of coriander seeds
- one tsp. of cumin seeds
- one tsp. of brown sugar
- 2-3 bay leaves
- Roast coriander and cumin seeds and grind them using a mortar.
- In a large pot, melt the butter, add garlic, onion and chili and cook through. Add chorizo, cumin and coriander, cook for another minute.
- Add chickpeas, tomatoes, bay leaves, sugar and wine. Simmer to thicken, for about 30 minutes.
- Add kale 5 minutes before the end of cooking.
- Check the seasoning and serve.