I enjoy hearty dishes in the first cold days of winter, but comes January, I start craving something lighter. This is my perfect January soup: bit spicy, warming and fully comforting, but light and green at the same time.
When you look at the recipe, it might seem like a lot of work, but it's not. The recipe is super easy and putting everything together will take a maxiumum of half an hour and that includes making the curry paste and crispy broccoli topping. And you can always use a good store-bought green curry paste and limit the toppings to fresh coriander and sesame seeds.
Recipe: Green curry broccoli soup
- 3 tbsp green curry paste
- one large broccoli, divided into small florets
- 800 ml vegetable stock
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 2 limes
- a handful fresh coriander
- Heat a heavy-based saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the curry paste and cook, stirring, for about 2 minutes.
- Add broccoli florets and cook, stirring, for another 1-2 minutes.
- Slowly add the stock and coconut milk, combine, cover and bring to boil.
- Simmer over medium heat until the vegetables are tender - 5-10 minutes .
- Before serving, blend or process until smooth.
- Season with lime juice.
- Top each serving with fresh cilantro and crispy broccoli florets.
Recipe: Crispy broccoli florets
- a handful broccoli florets
- one tbsp coconut oil
- one tbsp soy sauce
- one tsp honey
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- Heat coconut oil in a small pan, add broccoli and fry for one minute.
- Add soy sauce combined with honey and continue cooking, stirring, for 1-2 minutes.
- Add sesame seeds and combine.
Recipe: Green curry paste
- 5 medium green chilies, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 shallots, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp freshly grated ginger
- a bunch fresh cilantro
- 2 lemongrass stalks, chopped
- 2 limes, juice and zest
- one tbsp coriander seeds
- one tsp ground cumin
- one tsp black peppercorns
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- Place all of the ingredients in a food processor and blitz to a paste.