Traditionally served with crispy duck, this pancakes make a great vegan dish as well. Thick hoisin sauce and fresh cucumber and spring onions go great with fried tofu. Perfect snack for a small gathering.
Recipe: Chinese tofu pancakes
- 200 g firm tofu
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 cucumber, cut into matchsticks
- 1/2 bunch green onions, cut into matchsticks
- a few branches fresh coriander
- 1/4 red chilli pepper, chopped
- 1/3 cup hoisin sauce
- 10 thin pancakes
- Slice tofu and combine with 3 tbsp of hoisin sauce.
- Fry tofu slices on heated sesame oil, about one minute each side.
- Steam the pancakes and keep them warm in a bamboo steamer or covered with foil.
- Arrange fried tofu, cucumber and spring onion stick, coriander leaves, chilli and hoisin sauce on the table and allow everyone to help themselves.
- Spread some sauce on each pancake and top with tofu, cucumber and spring onions. Sprinkle with coriander and chilli and roll up.
Recipe: Homemade hoisin sauce
- 7-8 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
- 3 tsp sesame oil
- one tsp finely chopped chilli
- one garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Combine all the ingredients in a small pot.
- Simmer over low heat, stirring, until well combined.
- Set aside to cool.