Breakfast could easily be my favourite meal. Its only flaw is that a bottle of crisp white wine doesn’t go too well with scrambled eggs on toast. But then there are Mimosas or, for more difficult mornings, Bloody Marys. Not every breakfast is perfect though. Sometimes we don’t hear the alarm clock (or deliberately choose to ignore it) and we have just enough time for either a quick sandwich or brushing hair and teeth. Sometimes we have absolutely nothing in the fridge and the closest shop is too far away to go there wearing pyjamas. Sometimes we only have one egg and a brief moment of obilviousness can turn soft boiled into hard boiled.
Nevertheless, I choose a perfect breakfast over a perfect dinner. When we get up early for the sheer purpose of enjoying a lazy breakfast, the time seems somewhat stolen and therefore magical.
I almost never have sweet breakfast, which sadly means that I cannot dip a freshly baked croissant into hot coffee in my Parisian apartment (it is that and the fact that I do not own an apartment in Paris). For me, a perfect breakfast dish resembles dinner as much as possible, but still manages to keep up breakfast appearances. Red lentil and kale in a spicy tomato sauce - not a typical breakfast. It is the gorgeously runny yolk of a perfectly poached egg that makes all the difference.
Recipe: Poached eggs with red lentil and kale
- one cup of red lentil, cooked
- one onion, finely diced
- 200 g of kale
- 2 medium tomatoes
- one tsp. of chili powder
- one tsp. of sweet paprika powder
- a pinch of salt
- 2 eggs
- Scald tomatoes and remove the skin, dice them.
- Heat olive oil in a large skilled add onion and saute it. Add tometoes and spices, cook over low heat for about 10 minutes.
- Add lentils and continue cooking for another 5 minutes. Remove from heat, add kale leaves and stir together.
- Serve with poached eggs.
Recipe: Poached eggs
- In a large saucepan, bring water with one tsp. of white vinegar to boil.
- Crack each egg to a shallow bowl. Stir boiling water to create a whirl. Carefully add the egg. Cook for 2-3 minutes.