Artichokes might be funny-looking, but they're delicious and you shouldn't feel intimidated in their presence. If you've never tried to make them at home, it's time to give them a chance. The first bite of artichoke heart will make up for any moments of fear and uncertainty.
How to prepare an artichoke?
Cut the stalks off the artichoke. Pull off the tough leaves. Cut off the thorned tips of the remaining leaves. Cut the artichoke in half. Spoon out the inner leaves and the fuzzy choke. To prevent artichokes from discoloration, keep the ready ones in a bowl with cold water and lemon juice.
How to cook an artichoke?
The easiest way is to cook artichokes in slightly salted water with lemon (it should take about 40 minutes). The healthiest way is to steam them. You can also fry, grill, roast and stuff artichokes.
How to eat an artichoke?
Use your hands to pull off petals, one at a time. Dip the broken end in olive oil or dip and scrape the soft, meaty part off with your teeth. When all petals are gone, it's time for the best part - delicate, delicious artichoke heart.
Recipe: Roasted artichokes with lemon and feta dipServes: 2
- 2 artichokes
- 3 tbsp. of olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- juice and zest of one lemon
- a pinch of salt
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Start with preparing a bowl with water and lemon juice.
- You will keep the prepped artichokes in the this water until you’re ready to proceed. It prevents them from turning brown.
- Cut an artichoke in half. Carefully spoon out the inner leaves and the fuzzy choke.
- Place the prepared half in the water bowl. Repeat the process with remaining artichokes.
- Combine olive oil with lemon juice and zest and salt.
- Sprinkle each artichoke with the mixture.
- Roast at 180C for about 40 minutes.
- Sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper.
- Serve with crunchy baguette and lemon and feta dip.
Recipe: Lemon and feta dip
- 200 g of feta cheese
- 3-4 tbsp. of lemon juice
- one tsp. of olive oil
- one tsp. of za'atar
- Blend feta with lemon juice until fluffly.
- Before serving, top with oil and za'atar.