Seafood has three essential assets: it’s scrumptious, it’s healthy and it’s almost ludicrously easy to prepare. A pot of mussels and prawns is one of the simplest and most effective dishes you can serve your friends at dinner. The most difficult step might actually be getting fresh seafood.
Once you’ve put your hand on some deliciously fresh mussels and prawns, it’s a piece of seafood cake. Start with throwing away defective mussels: tap open mussels against the counter and, if they don’t close up immediately, discard them. Next, rinse mussels under cold water, cut the beards and brush off any sand or debris from the shells. If your guests happen to enjoy interacting with their food, you can limit yourself to rinsing prawns before cooking. If, on the other hand, this might cause horror rather than pleasure, you can do some more work yourself. Chop off the heads, pull off the shells and legs and use a sharp knife to make slits around prawns’ back and belly in order to devein them.
Now all you need is some butter, a few cloves of garlic, onion, white wine, lemon juice, fresh parsley and a crispy baguette. If you want to keep it really simple, butter, garlic and white wine are enough for a mouthwatering dish. Or, if for some reason you have failed to get the seafood, wine will be fine on its own. White or red, doesn’t really matter at this point. Just make sure there is enough for everyone.
Recipe: Seafood pot with mussels and prawns
- 1 kg of fresh mussels, cleaned
- 200 g of fresh tiger prawns
- 2 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- one medium red onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp. of butter
- 2 cups of dry white wine
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 3 tbsp. of finely chopped parsley
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Melt butter in a heavy-bottom pot. Add garlic and onion and saute over medium heat until they are soft, but not browned.
- Add wine and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add mussels and prawns, cover the pot, increase heat to high and cook for about 5 minutes - until the mussel shells open and the prawns turn pink.
- Before serving, top with parsley and freshly ground pepper and drizzle with lemon juice. Serve with a crispy baguette.