Roasted vegetables are great as a light lunch or dinner. Try roasted asparagus with basil and sea salt pesto, baby artichokes with feta dip and round courgettes with cherry tomato sauce.
Surely, they would be even greater, if grilled and consumed in a garden, by the lake or in a park. Unfortunately, that is not always possible. For instance, one might not have a garden, a lake or a grill. Unexpected rain can also disrupt an al fresco dinner. Another reason could be a group of wasps.
It was during my sailing holidays in Croatia. I have spend the entire day gutting fish, squid and octopus that I'd bought on a market, geatting ready for a BBQ evening. When we'd finally managed to find a picturesque little bay and tie up the boat, we realised there were countless wasps coming to our yacht and we had to run away. We ended up staying in a marina where barbecueing was not permitted and I had to make the squid and octopus in the oven.
What lesson can be learned from this story? Probably the fact that anything that you might want to barbecue, you can also make in the oven. It doesn't always work the other way around, but in this case it does - I have prepare these recipes for the oven, but you can make the vegetables on the grill too.
Recipe: Roasted asparagus with basil and sea salt pestoServes: 4
- a bunch asparagus
- one tsp. olive oil
Recipe: Basil and sea salt pesto
- one cup basil leaves
- 1/2 tsp. coarse sea salt
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- Blend basil with olive oil.
- Add salt, combine.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Trim asparagus' ends. Coat asparagus with olive oil.
- Roast at 180C for about 20 minutes.
- Serve with pesto.
Recipe: Roasted artichokes with sizzling feta dipServes: 4
- 4-6 baby artichokes
- one tsp olive oil
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- one tsp lemon zest
Recipe: Sizzling feta dip
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- tsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Prepare a bowl with cold water with lemon juice. To prevent artichokes from discoloration, keep the cut ones in the bow before you're ready to roast them.
- Cut the stalks off the artichoke. Pull off the tough leaves. Cut the artichoke in half. Spoon out the inner leaves and the fuzzy choke. Very young artichokes might not have the choke.
- Combine oil and lemon juice, coast artichokes with the mixture. Place them in a baking dish and top with lemon zest.
- Roast at 200C for aboit 25 mintes.
- Combine feta with oil and lemon juice.
- Place in a ramekin and bake with the artichokes for 20 minutes.
Recipe: Roasted round courgettes with roasted tomatoes sauceServes: 4
- 4 round courgettes
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- tsp olive oil
Recipe: Roasted tomatoes sauce
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
- tsp brown sugar
- a pinch of salt
- Cut the tomatoes in halves and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Drizzle with oil, sprinkle with salt and sugar.
- Roast at 150C for about 45 minutes.
- Cool down and blend.
- Cut the courgettes in halves and coat with oil. Place them in a baking dish and top with chili flakes.
- Roast at 200C for about 35 minut.
- Serve with tomato sauce.