Having been born in early January, I sincerely sympathise with anyone who celebrates a winter birthday. After the splurge of holiday season and the carouse of New Year's Eve people are left with neither the will to make whoopee, nor funds or ideas for great gifts. Let alone the fact that I will never have a meringue with seasonal berries as my birthday cake. It would be perfect for my party, as it is light, delicate and graceful. And so am I.
Luckily for me, I don't need birthday to make myself some cake.
Recipe: Summer meringue with red fruitServes: 8
- 7 egg whites
- 1 1/2 cup of fine sugar
- one tsp. of vinegar
- one tsp. of potato starch
- Beat the egg whites until stiff. Beating, gradually add sugar. Add vinegar and potato starch and keep beating for a while.
- Place the mixture on a parchment-lined baking sheet and form a circle.
- Bake at 130C for 20 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 100C and bake for another 2 hours.
- Let cool completely.
- 1/4 cup of raspberries
- 150 g of mascarpone
- Blend raspberries and drain the mixture.
- Combine with mascarpone, using a mixer.
- red currant
- Top cooled meringue with cream. Arrange fruit on top of the cream.
- Refrigerate unless serving immediately.