Recipe: Recpie: Beetroot galette
- 1 cup of flour
- 125 g of butter
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1 tbsp. of white wine vinegar
- a pinch of salt
- Combine flour and salt in a large ball. Cut in butter with pastry blender or two knives - the mixture should resemble coarse crumbs.
- Add whisked egg and vinegar. Form dough, shape into ball, wrap in cling film. Refrigerate for at least an hour.
- 5 medium beetroots
- 4 large red onions, sliced
- 2 tbsp. of butter
- 2 tsp. of brown sugar
- 1/4 cup of red wine
- 1 1/2 tbsp. of dried thyme
- 2 tbsp. of feta cheese
- freshly ground black pepper
- Wrap each beetroot into aluminium foil and roast at 200C for about an hour - until tender. Let cool, peel and slice.
- Melt butter in a skillet, add sliced onions and thyme, cook over low heat for about 15 minutes.
- Add sugar and caramelize for a few minutes. Add wine, reduce.
- In a large bowl, combine caramelized onion with beetroots.
- Using a rolling pin, roll the dough into a circle on a parchment paper.
- Arrange the beetroots on the pastry, starting from 5 cm from the perimeter of the pastry round.
- Fold the outer edges of the pastry over the filling.
- Top with crumbled feta.
- Bake at 180C for about 35 minutes.
- Season with freshly ground pepper.