It wasn't love at first sight. Simple yeast cake with blueberries seemed so much less attractive than sophisticated desserts. I never craved anything below tiramisù or chocolate soufflé. Luckily for me, with age came wisdom. I finally learnt the value of delightfully hot, freshly baked blueberry buns with zesty icing.
Recipe: Jagodzianki - blueberry bunsMakes 12 buns
Recipe: The dough
- one cup of milk
- 1/3 cup of melted butter
- 1/3 cup of brown sugar
- 2 tsp. of instant yeast
- 2 cups of flour
- Combine milk, butter and sugar in a pot. Scald the mixture. Set aside and let cool until lukewarm.
- Add yeast, let them sit for a minute and add flour. Stir the mixture together until well combined.
- Cover and let sit for at least an hour.
- Work the dough. You might need to add some more flour (about 1/2 cup).
- Sprinkle surface with flour. Roll the dough into a rectangular shape.
- 250 g of quark cheese (you can substitute it with ricotta)
- one tbsp. of sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- one cup of blueberries
- Combine quark cheese with sugar and whisked egg yolks.
- Top the dough with cheese and blueberries.
- Role up dough and pinch edge together to seal. Cut into 12 rolls.
- Bake at 200C for about 15 minutes.
Recipe: Lemon icing
- 1/4 cup of confectioner's sugar
- 2 tbsp. of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- To make sugar with lemon juice until thick and pourable.
- Top warm buns with the icing.