Recipe: Fennel roasted with tomato sauce
- one large fennel
- 2 garlic cloves - minced
- one onion - diced
- 4 large tomatoes - scalded, peeled and diced
- one tsp. of sugar
- 1/2 tsp. of chili flakes
- a pinch of sea salt
- one tbsp. of olive oil
- In a saucepan heat the olive oil, add onion and garlic and cook until soft and golden.
- Add tomatoes, season with sugar, salt and chili. Simmer over low heat for about 20 minutes, until the sauce slightly thickens.
- To prepare the fennel, trim off the green tops (reserve them for garnish). Peel off the tougher outer layer.
- Cook in a boiling water for about 10 minutes. Let cool and cut the bulb into quarters.
- Place in an oiled baking dish and coat fennel with tomato sauce.
- Roast at 180C for about 30 minutes.
- Top with chopped fennel fronds. Serve with bread.