Cucamelons, also known as mouse melons, Mexican miniature watermelons or Mexican sour cucumbers, look like tiny watermalons (and you know that I love all things tiny, see: baby eggplants) and taste like cucumbers with a hint of lime. In spite of appearances, they have not been created by a crazy gardener - cucamelons are native to Mexico and Central America. Oh, and they are also delicious!
Recipe: Cucamelon Salsa
- 300 g of cucamelons, cut in halves
- 50 g of feta, crumbled
- 2 tbsp. of chopped Thai basil
- 1/2 tsp. of chili flakes
- juice of 1/2 lime
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl.
- Set aside for at least half an hour.
- Serve with toasted bread.