What is the last time you had Greek salad? Personally, I have forgotten about it for a while, probably in an unconscious attempt to block out the memories of many bad Greek salads I was served in the 90's. There was always too much lettuce, well, it was mainly lettuce, cleverly covered up with a layer of diced tomatoes and cucumbers, bad olives and poor quality feta. The original version does not include lettuce and it's beauty comes from simplicity and great quality of ingredients. Use ripe heirloom tomatoes, good olives and authentic Greek feta and you no longer need to top everything with vinaigrette. The only adjustment I made was adding crushed chili instead or oregano.
Recipe: Greek saladServes: 2
- a handful of good, ripe tomatoes, you can use different types
- 1/2 of cucumber
- a handful of Greek olives
- 1/3 of red onion
- thick slice of Greek feta
- olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. of crushed chillies
- Cut tomatoes into slices or quarters, depending on their sizes. Slice cucumber and onion.
- Arrange all the ingredients on a platter, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with chili.
- You can serve it as a meal with grilled pita or as a side salad.